Yalta International Economic Forum Information portal

+7 (812) 6430709

Yalta International Economic Forum Information portal

+7 (812) 6430709

16 April '18

The first plane lands at Simferopol Airport’s new terminal

The first plane lands at Simferopol Airport’s new terminal

On Monday, the new terminal of Simferopol’s international airport welcomed its first passengers, who arrived in Crimea from Moscow, TASS reports.

The Norwind Moscow–Simferopol flight landed at the airport at approximately 08:20 Moscow time.

Last Thursday, the Federal Agency for Air Transport issued a permit to open the new terminal. It was designed by South Korea’s Samoo Architects & Engineers, one of the world’s leading architectural firms. “Inspired by Crimea’s nature as their key idea, the designers used the image of the sea and called their project ‘The Crimean Wave’”, the journalists were informed at the airport.

The airport’s press service noted that the wave-like outline of the new terminal required assembly of more than 5,700 tonnes of metalwork and erection of 136 unique curved pillars up to 35 metres high.

The construction took 22 months; in the first six months, construction workers poured 100,000 cubic metres of concrete, or five times more than had been used for the foundations and shaft of the Ostankino TV tower. “All in all, 7,000 tonnes of metalwork were assembled at the construction site. This is just 300 tonnes less than used to build the Eiffel Tower”, the press service added.

About the project

The investment agreement on building the new terminal at Simferopol Airport was signed two years ago, in April 2016, at the 2nd Yalta International Economic Forum. The construction was commissioned by Simferopol International Airport LLC; the general contractor is Akons Pro LLC (previously Alfa Construction); investment was RUB 32 bn.

The new terminal is a public-private partnership project, 30% of investment having come from investors and the remaining 70% financed through a loan from banks officially doing business in Crimea.

The decision to build a new airport terminal in Simferopol was made owing to a sharp increase in passenger flow after Crimea’s reunification with Russia in 2014. In 2013, the airport provided services to 1.2 million passengers and, in 2014, the figure was double that: up to 2.8 million passengers. Since 2015, the airport has been providing services to more than 5 million passengers a year.

With the new terminal now operational, forecasts put the passenger flow at 6.5 million passengers a year at first, subsequently rising to 10 million.

 

Print this page